Snort mailing list archives

Re: Updating Rules?

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 17:36:28 -0600

--On Thursday, February 12, 2004 03:59:53 PM -0600 Dusty Hall <halljer () auburn edu> wrote:

I guess I'll update as soon as possible...  I think this needs to be
changed though:

http://www.snort.org/dl/rules/  reads:

->  If you are using 2.1.*, please use snortrules-snapshot-2_1 rules. <-

Because snortrules-snapshot-2_1 rules.tar.gz BREAKS 2.1.0.  If I was
using autoupdate with Oinkmaster and used that info I would have had
problems due to the flowbits addition.  Luckily I manually update my
rules using Oinkmaster and inspect the results :).

I updated mine with oinkmaster. All I had to do was grep the rules files for "flowbits" and add the rules returned to the "disablesid" list in oinkmaster.conf. End of problem. When the flowbits "problem" gets fixed, I'll re-enable them. Piece of cake.

Oinkmaster rules.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas