Snort mailing list archives

Re[2]: Subject: IPless interface on Debian...

From: Patrick Sitton <psitton () socket net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:51:44 -0600

I don't define my ids ports in my interfaces file at all, just my
access interface. I just bring up my IDS interfaces as needed in my
snort start up script with ifconfig eth1 up promisc.

This is the way I do it on all my debian based snort boxes. Eth0 is my
access port and up to 3 nic cards are brought up manually as needed.
There may be a better way but it's the way it do it, at leaswt until I
can find a better way. My interfaces file looks like this on all my
boxes.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0 inet static
     address 10.0.107.167
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 10.0.107.255
     gateway 10.0.107.16

HWan> Hello Snort-Users,

HWan> I hope this isn't redundant, but the archives seem to be down right now.

HWan> I have two NIC's, eth1 is for my management network, and eth0 is for
HWan> sniffin'. I want eth0 *not* to have a IP address. This worked fine in
HWan> RedHat, but since they eol'ed it I'm migrating to Debian, and I'm a
HWan> little green. How is this done in Debian?
HWan> Many Thanks,
HWan> Tobias

HWan> Tobias,
HWan> just try the following in /etc/network/interfaces:

HWan> user@sensor:~$ less /etc/network/nterfaces
HWan> #/etc/networl/interfaces  -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

HWan> # The loopback interface
HWan> auto lo
HWan> iface lo inet loopback

HWan> auto eth1

HWan> iface eth1 inet static
HWan>      address 192.168.1.5
HWan>      netmask 255.255.255.0
HWan>      broadcast 192.198.1.255
HWan>      gateway 192.168.1.2

HWan> auto eth0 inet static
HWan>      address 0.0.0.0
HWan>      netmask 255.255.255.255

HWan> #  end /etc/network/interfaces

HWan> hope that explains enough...

HWan> cu
HWan> holgi

HWan> -------------------------------------------------------
HWan> SF.Net is sponsored by: Speed Start Your Linux Apps Now.
HWan> Build and deploy apps & Web services for Linux with
HWan> a free DVD software kit from IBM. Click Now!
HWan> http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=1356&alloc_id=3438&op=click
HWan> Snort-users mailing list
HWan> Snort-users () lists sourceforge net
HWan> Go to this URL to change user options or unsubscribe:
HWan> Snort-users list archive:
HWan> http://www.geocrawler.com/redir-sf.php3?list=snort-users

--
 Patrick Sitton