Snort mailing list archives

Re: Please virus scan your systems

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 17:04:39 -0500

At 02:30 PM 2/11/2004, Bryan Irvine wrote:
about the only virus that can get through this list is the honor system
virus, whereupon receiving it, you delete a bunch of random files,
forward the emal, and reboot.

He was not suggesting it went through the list Bryan. He was suggesting one or more people who get messages from this list might be infected.

And quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me.. I've seen a couple of a posts on this list from people more-or-less completely unaware of security issues.

Those virus alert are most likely the cause of someone you've emailed
sometime in your life getting mydoom or a similar virus.

ie: any snort-users subscriber would be in the list of potentials, since he's emailed all of us. (and did so back on 2/9 as well).

However, as someone else pointed out, there's usenet and web archives too, increasing the list of possible infectees beyond direct subscribers.