Snort mailing list archives

Re: Documentation!!

From: SN ORT <snort_on_acid () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:53:23 -0800 (PST)

FYI Matt Kettler
--- Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com> wrote:
At 12:21 PM 2/11/2004, SN ORT wrote:
Would it be possible to make the documents with
more
complete examples.

Possible, yes... are there any volunteers who have
the spare time available
to do so?

Yes, you being one of them. Seriously though, all
readme's are written in the same cryptic format and
one could use the SAME AMOUNT OF WORDS to create a
more explanatory document.

(remember, this is open source.. the best way to get
things done is to do
them.)

As for an example of how to use HTTP_INSPECT, why
don't you just look in
the stock snort.conf? There's an example right
there.

I used the config options, trying to figure out if
these all go on the same line or different, trying
figure out by trial and error if I can use a
variable
for the "servers" IP address, such as
$HTTP_SERVERS!!

Of course you can use a variable... snort.conf
"variables" aren't really
variables at all.. they are text substitution
macros. You can use/abuse
them for almost anything. (If you're a C programmer,
think of var as if it
were #define)

No you can't use the var nor do you use common CIDR
on the http_inspect line. I think I've tried that
newbie stuff already.

Heck, you could make an entire rule into a
"variable" if you wanted to.

# theoretically, this is legal.
var $ALERT_ON_EVERYTHING        alert ip any any ->
any any (msg:"blah";)

$ALERT_ON_EVERYTHING

Imagine that.

(so now how do I specify more than one?),

The same way you do everywhere else.. AFAIK all of
snort accepts the same
IP address format. CIDR masks, and bracketed comma
delimited lists.

Like i said that don't work.

There's nothing magic about "variables"... you can
use bracketed lists
anywhere in snort where you specify an IP address.

not in the decode lines you can't. If YOU looked in
the snort.conf example, you wouldv'e noticed there are
no braketed lists to specify the IP address or range
when using the "preprocessor http_inspect_server:
server 1.1.1.1 \" format.

found out
for myself I have to use the "\" to specify more
options, and then find out there has to be a space
between the last character and the "\", and then
finally find out that I can't even use all of the
options per the error below.

If you'd have looked at the example that is already
in snort 2.1's
snort.conf you'd have known about the \ thing.

How do you think I found that out? Only after
searching in OTHER FILES. NOT the readme file
associated with the http_inspect file.

Technically, the \ is used to cause more than one
line to be treated as a
single line.. basic unix 101.

OK, call me a dummy.

Thus, you don't need a \ per option, you need it if
you go to a new line..
again look at snort.conf

Great. Thanks.

Cheese!