Snort mailing list archives

Re: false positive generator

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:00:44 -0500

At 01:39 PM 2/10/2004, Peggy Kam wrote:
I am currently using snort-2.1.1-RC1 and am trying to use sneeze to generate some false positves. However, it does not seem to work at all (as mentioned previously). Does anyone know if there's another false positive generator out ther?

Well, if anyone knows something that's a false positive, let the snort developers know so they can fix it ASAP.

Are you really trying to generate _false_ positives, or just generate alerts? Not all alerts require an actual overflow to occur..

A nessus safe-mode scan should fire off at least a few alerts, although I'll admit I haven't tried it recently.