Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort Mysql Acid Combo

From: Mark Fagan <r00t () online ie>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:47:51 +0000

Is /var/log/snort populated with logs ?

If so you probable dont have the correct entry in your snort.conf:

It should be along the lines of:

output database: log, mysql, sensor_name=mysensor user=snortuser
password=snortpassword dbname=snort host=dbhost

Also in the event you have a DB authentication issue open two ssh sessions, one
tailing the /var/log/messages file:

tail -f /var/log/messages

And one restarting snort:

/etc/init.d/snort restart

If you get a success message you probably dont have the correct output database
statement.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Quoting Sam Osuala <sam.osuala () logiciel-inc com>:

I have installed a box with the following;

1] Redhat Linux 9.2
2] Snort 2.0.6
3] Mysql 4.0.17
4] Acid 0.9.6
5] php 4.3.4
6] zlib-1.1.4
7] libpcap-0.7.2
8] Apache 2.0.48 (not the one that came with the Linux )
9] jgraph 1.14
10] adodb 405

These are all installed in the Linux box above. The issue is that the mysql
is not getting any logs in the database. If I start my snort with "snort
-dvC" I get the alerts on the screen. What could be the problem. Do I have to
keep the components in different machines?

Thanks

Sam