Snort mailing list archives

Re: Detection of subnet scan activity

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 18:58:42 -0500

At 06:31 PM 1/5/2004, Ben Carter wrote:
I love SNORT! I have been searching for a way to use SNORT to detect subnet scans, but am unable to find what I am looking for in the FAQ, Documentation or mailing list archives. I see that there is a pre-processor module that has the ability to look beyond simple packet matching rules, but it appears that this pre-processor module only detects port scans. Is there a pre-processor module to detect when a host scans for multiple /hosts/? Optimally the source host would be identified by MAC address rather than IP so that scans or attacks launched from a single station which was spoofing multiple source IP addresses (such as one of those nasty worms) could be identified.

The old-fashioned spp_portscan can do multiple hosts OR multiple ports.

Note: do not confuse spp-portscan with spp-portscan2 or the flow-portscan tools. All three are different beasties.

I'm not sure, but I suspect flow-portscan will also detect subnet scans, not just portscans of a single box.