Snort mailing list archives

Re: 2 class C network

From: Jeff <jcoppock1 () comcast net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:39:17 -0800

Greg Chu, 2004-Jan-22 16:51 -0500:
Hi,
I need help to sniffer two class C network

network 1 connect to network 2 through a cisco router
my servers are on network 1.  my network 2 connect to around 150 users.
if I put snort on one of the server on network 1, then I only see traffic
logged on network 1.

My question is how can I see traffice on network 2 which is interfaced
through the router.

all traffice to network 2 is routed to the ip of the ethernet 0 on the
router.

Or I have to put snort on network 2 to see the traffic.

When I install snort on 1 pc on network 2, which is a xp machine, it says
wincap can not find host name.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg

Any sniffing of traffic requires physical access to the network to be
sniffed (or snorted).  You'll have to put a system on network 2 in
order to see that traffic.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock            Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian          Admin and User