Snort mailing list archives

FW: remote tcpdump output & analysis (database)

From: "McCash, John" <John.McCash () andrew com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 13:26:51 -0600

Hi Everyone,
      I've got a question which might be related to the recent postings about remote tcpdump logging. I'm currently
doing remote logging to a mysql database, and have come across an issue with ACIDs analysis capabilities for this
data. I have a few hosts with messed up Compaq Insight management agents, and they put traffic on the wire with a
from address of 127.0.0.1. From inside ACID, you can't tell where it's coming from. What I'm having to do is go to
the sensor, pull the tcpdump logfile, and run ethereal on it to get the source MAC address, then go hunt that up in
the switch databases. I believe, however, that the full packet data is stored in the mysql database. Does anyone know
whether this is true, and if a quick hack to ACID might enable display of it? If that's too big a deal, might there
be a quick and easy way to dump the binary packet info from the database to a file without going to the remote
sensor? Then I could just run ethereal on that...
              Thanks in advance
                      John
this email is prohibited.