Snort mailing list archives

Snort 2.1 Install and Libpcre Error

From: <admin () x-networks net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:48:06 -0500

I am going through an installation of Snort 2.1 on RedHat 9
and have discovered that it requires the pcre library. When I
enter, "./configure --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql" (ignore
quotes)

...a message appeared stating, "ERROR! Libpcre header not
found, go get it from http://www.pcre.org

I have retreived the latest version of the pcre library and
have discovered that it requires some command line flags. I
saw the following example somwhere, and am wondering what I
should enter after "--prefix="? (Note: I have been following
the installation guide created by Patrick Harper, for
everything else.).

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-utf8 &&
make &&
make install

Also, are the rest of the ./configure flags (beyond the =/DIR
section) required or are they specific to each build?

Thanks for your help!
Derek