Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #3872 - 13 msgs

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () auckland ac nz>
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2004 16:06:22 +1300

Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:07:37 -0000
From: "Russell Packer" <russell.packer () arnoldinteractive com>
To: <Snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: [Snort-users] Snort, Mudpit, Unified logs and me...

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up what I think is "a normal" system pair:

System 1: The Snort machine (Devil)
System 2: The log processing / alerting machine (Slackware 9.x)

As I'm sure anyone else using mudpit is aware, there isn't a whole lot =
of documentation ;)

I'm currently getting my head round the Mudpit configuration, more =
specifically the Spool section. The section starts like this:

Here is what I am using:

from snort.conf:
output alert_unified: filename snort.alert, limit 128
output log_unified: filename snort.log, limit 128

These files get written to the directory specified with the -l option.

In mudpit config I have:

spool "/home/snort/LOGS/DMZ-O/unified" {  # as specified with the -l option to snort
lock = "mysql"
arch_dir= "/home/snort/arch"
checkpoint = "checkpoint"

# The name of the output plugin. At least one plugin must be specified.
# The string after comma is a parameter sent to the plugin; its format
# depends on a plugin type (mp_out_init entry should understand it).
# Default: none.
output = "/home/snort/mudpit-1.2/output/acid/mp_acid_out.so",
  "server xxxxxx.auckland.ac.nz, user snort, database snort, \
   hostname yyyyy.auckland.ac.nz, interface 1, password zzzzzz"
}

If you are still having trouble send me your configs off list and I will
look over them.

--
Russell Fulton                                    /~\  The ASCII
Network Security Officer                          \ /  Ribbon Campaign