Snort mailing list archives

RE: Using snort to listen on a nic without an IP

From: List Mail <LMail () ccsenergyservices com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:51:51 -0700

In rc.conf remove the ip address/snm and dfgw for the second nic. If it
isn't there add it in with no info.

ifconfig_eth0="inet 10.0.0.150  netmask 255.255.254.0"
ifconfig_eth1=""

Run #ifconfig eth1 up

then run snort and use the -i eth1 in your snort command line.

Then run ifconfig -a and you should see both interfaces, one with an IP
connected to your network and the second one in promiscuous mode with no ip
(you'll also see your loopback etc here)

 flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet 10.0.0.150 netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
        inet6 fe80::2b0:d0ff:fed0:45a8%fxp0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        ether 00:b0:d0:d0:45:a8
        status: active

 flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,promiscuous> mtu 1500
        ether 00:02:b3:30:c9:46
        status: active

Wayne