Snort mailing list archives

IPS Group test report now available

From: "Bob Walder" <bwalder () spamcop net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 12:16:07 +0100

Although I do not want to start yet another "what is IPS" thread, I will
pop my head above the trenches long enough to tell you that our latest
group test report - covering IPS products from ISS, NAI (x2), NetScreen,
TippingPoint and Top Layer - is available from our web site at
www.nss.co.uk/ips

The intro to the report attempts to define what WE consider to be an IPS
product, and both the Foreword and Summary sections have extensive
commentary on why we think Gartner got it wrong and our take on those
"what is IPS" threads I mentioned at the top of this e-mail.

Two caveats just so that everything is up front and above board:

1. The 270 page report is 99% complete on-line - there is no edited/cut
down text - every review and all the intro text is available on-line.
The only section that is NOT available are the detailed performance
tables - for those of you who want those, the PDF/CD/hard copy versions
of the report are available to buy from our Web site for the princely
sum of $75. We are not trying to force anyone to buy - and think that
there is PLENTY of good info up there for free for those who are
interested in the topic - for those who are serious about buying one of
the products reviewed, you would probably want to see the performance
figures and we trust that $75 is not too much to ask given the budget
you will need to implement these things!  ;o)

2. Yes, there is a "download form" to complete. Before you switch off
(!) I should point out that it is OPTIONAL. NONE of the info is
required, so please don't waste your time and ours by filling in garbage
- it is not necessary. Just click SUBMIT and away you go. HOWEVER, I
would ask that you at least fill in the radio button questions AND
indicate which reports you are interested in before clicking on SUBMIT -
this part of the form allows us to ascertain the demographics for our
report, and is useful for us to determine which reports are worth
repeating and also to attract vendors for future reports - in other
words THAT is what keeps these reports free for you - so please take the
time to answer.

Many thanks - I hope you find the report useful.

Regards,

Bob Walder
Director
The NSS Group Ltd.