Snort mailing list archives

RE: ERROR: unknown preprocessor "http_decode"

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 15:12:25 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net
[mailto:snort-users-admin () lists sourceforge net] On Behalf Of
Warner Joseph
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 1:39 PM
To: 'snort-users () lists sourceforge net'
Subject: [Snort-users] ERROR: unknown preprocessor "http_decode"

It's been a while since I've had to ask for help here but I
just upgraded from snort-2.0.5 to v2.1.0 and I'm getting this
error when I attempt to start snort:

ERROR:  unknown preprocessor "http_decode"
Fatal Error, Quitting..

http_decode is gone.  It has been replaced by http_inspect.  Make sure
you read /usr/local/share/doc/snort/README.http_inspect carefully, as
some settings can generate a *boatload* of traffic.  See the thread I
started on this subject just a few days ago.

If I comment out the whole http_decode preprocessor line in
my snort.conf then it starts and runs fine.

That's because http_decode no longer exists, as the error in the
messages log is telling you.

I'm running snort on FreeBSD so when I upgrade I usually use
portupgrade to do the upgrade via ports and then edit the new
copy of snort.conf in /usr/local/share/snort and copy it over
my old .conf file in /usr/local/etc  I've done it this way
including manually editing my .rules files for quite some
time and haven't ever experienced any problems..until now.

That's precisely how I upgrade mine as well - using portupgrade.

Can anyone help?

Hopefully I have.  If you have specific questions, feel free to email
me.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.9 RELEASE, snort-2.1.0, mysql and acid, all
on the same box.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas