Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort, Mudpit, Unified logs and me...

From: Dirk Geschke <Dirk_Geschke () genua de>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 17:24:56 +0100

Hi Russel,

I'm trying to set up what I think is "a normal" system pair:

System 1: The Snort machine (Devil)
System 2: The log processing / alerting machine (Slackware 9.x)

Having done lots and lots of reading, it seems that the unified (binary)
output is "best" (as non-unified seems to lead to problems).

[As a side note, I did look at FLoP but patching snort is not an
option due to the fact that I'm using a pre-built live-CD for system 1]

hmm, I think this should be a minor problem. But how do you update snort
if it is so difficult to use a patched and self-compiled version of snort?

With all possible options you have to extend your live-CD by some
programs.

Now, it seems that I have two options on system 2 - either Barnyard
or Mudpit. Seeing as I can't get Barnyard to configure (tried MySQL
3.23, 4.017, my_connect, mysql_real_connect and all those other "fixes"
to no avail), I'm forced to use Mudpit.

I fear that if Barnyard is not able to work then Mudpit will fail
with the same problems....

[...]

Hm. This raises 2 questions:

1.) How does one specifiy that these two files should actually
    be sent on a remote machine? In the MySQL example, it is
    obvious that you can specify a host, but mudput requires the
    files :/

2.) As these log files need to reside on a remote system, how
    would the limit work?

The log files are created by the snort process and should stay on
the local machine. This is the place where both, barnyard and
mudpit expect the files.

As you are using a Live-CD I think you will not use any harddisk
on the snort machine?

You can do at least two things: Store the files on a ram disk
or on a nfs mounted partition. But both are options are not
really good...

So maybe FLoP is not such a bad idea for this system?

Best regards

Dirk