Snort mailing list archives

Re: Differences Between Versions

From: Martin Olsson <elof () sentor se>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:10:47 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Michael Thompson wrote:
  On one box I have snort 2.00 and on another I have Snort 2.1.0

  My question is that the Snort 2.00 appears to miss certain events,
  while snort 2.1 picks them up.
  Does any one know if there are any know logging problems with the 2.0
  version?

Yes, there was a bug in the wu-manber (mwm) pattern matcher in snort
2.0.x. When I changed the search-method to ac, the snort started alerting
on rules that had been quiet using the mwm method.

Two of the rules that didn't work with mwm was:

sid:1561 WEB-MISC ?open access
sid:1117 WEB-MISC Lotus EditDoc

Both of these rules use the uricontent with a leading questionmark.

uricontent:"?open";
uricontent:"?EditDocument";

This bug in mwm should have been fixed in snort 2.1.0.

/Martin