Snort mailing list archives

Re: Perfmonitor...does anyone really use this thing?

From: sam () neuroflux com
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 08:41:36 -0700 (MST)

This is kinda off topic, but I used to have the link where Phil Woods has
his modified libpcap..  Could you post it?

Thanks,
Sam

Hi,

for me it is a simple way to continously follow how Snort is doing over
a longer time period. You may want to use a tool like logsurfer to warn
you if ie. big amount of packets is suddenly being lost. I personally
like it.

According the stats: This seems to be nothing that has anything to do
with Snort. Try using the "new" "Phil Woods"-libpcap, where this
situation got very much better. Also read the docs provided on Phil
Wood's homepage. Since that version, my statistics are working good and
stuff like 1250% TCP seem to be over now. Good work, I may add. :)

Snort versions prior to 2.0 have had other difficulties with stats.
At the moment however, everything is working really good for me with
Snort 2.1.0 and libpcap-0.8.031204.

Regards,
Edin

Andreas Östling wrote:

If you don't do anything useful with the output from it then you should
of course not turn it on. Personally I find it very handy when tweaking
and debugging performance issues (in conjunction with
http://people.su.se/~andreaso/perfmon-graph/). The output format is
explained in src/preprocessors/perf-base.c and also in the manual I
think.
The drop stats on Linux seems broken though.

/Andreas