Snort mailing list archives

Re: snort ssl plug-in

From: "Jason Haar" <Jason.Haar () trimble co nz>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:41:19 +1300 (NZDT)

Derya Sezen said:
I wanna collect the private keys in my local trusted area & see the
crypted traffic, ( i have the public keys of the both side) i think it
is possible logically, no? Is there any Snort plug-in for that?!

Probably not doable. There was a discussion of this on the OpenSSL list a
couple of months ago. Just having the full cert (pub+priv) in question
doesn't necessarily mean you can build a sniffer that can decrypt SSL
traffic. If static (RSA) keys are used, then yes, you can decrypt, but
nothing I know of defaults to those SSL algorithms anymore.
See http://ssldump.sourceforge.net/TROUBLESHOOTING for a good explanation
of why decrypting SSL traffic via a network sniffer isn't easy.
Jason