Snort mailing list archives

AW: OpenSource Alternative to SourceFire's RNA

From: "Sean Wheeler" <s.wheeler () netprotect ch>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:54:39 +0200

hi,

Well I would not say that I am creating anything new, infact it's mainly
adding glue to existing opensource tools

I have created a DB schema which will support selective allocation of rules
per host amoungst many other features, but this one more to your point

STAGE 1:
DB schema for IP/MAC/PROTO/PORTS
the host is defined by IP/MAC/OS/OPEN PORTS this data is passively collected
off the network.

Process :
arpwatch -> IP/MAC DB TABLE
nwatch -> OPEN PROTO/PORTS DB TABLE
p0f -> Updates IP/MAC TABLE with OS fingerprint

For control host/port can be manually added or disapproved from the above
tables.

I have the above working reliably already.

STAGE 2:

DB schema for existing signature manipulation and new sig creation

I have this working reliably already

STAGE 3:

DB schema for sig->OS map->App map

I have the schema worked out, presently populating data
First run has been extracting data from my DB static reference, sig's and
sig doc's matching OS to sid etc
(all scripts rip the data directly from the raw snort snapshots, so there is
minimal manual labour here )
obviously adjusting the schema as we go ;)

STAGE 4:

DB schema for snort events, present DB schema is nice, but not scalable and
snort wastes alot of time dealing with menial DB entries
( I have the sig's in the DB already..I don't need snort building another
table of signature/sig_reference/sig_class etc etc etc )

STAGE 5:

Create a frontend to it all.
( presently working purely inside the DB ..lol oh well it's a BIG place in
there ;)

and if you got to the bottom of this long blah blah, my goal is to create an
opensource management platform surrounding snort, not just looking at
events.

regards

Sean