Snort mailing list archives

Re: flow-portscan, pcap files, and timestamps..

From: Chris Green <cmg () uab edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 15:44:35 -0500

Erik Fichtner <emf () servervault com> writes:

Hi all.. I'm having a little issue with flow-portscan that's driving me
bonkers...     See, I'm using an offline pcap file, and flow-portscan keeps
reporting detected portscans with current time values, not the time that
they actually happened based on the current time values from the pcap file.

I took a quick look into flowps.c and it appears to be trying to use
the packet timestamps, so I'm not entirely sure where it's deciding
to get the wrong timestamp from, although I suspect somewhere along
the output chain of GenerateSnortEvent() there's a shortcut someone
took to call localtime() instead of keeping a running clock
internally.  :(

It comes from when the alert function is called with a NULL packet.

If you use the pktkludge output mechanism, you should get real
timestamps though you will now have a much different problem to deal
with :)
--
Chris Green <cmg () dok org>
Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures.