Snort mailing list archives

Questions about alerts from TCPDUMP

From: jwang () fit edu
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 11:11:19 -0500 (EST)

hi everyone:

my issues:
1) I have managed to create alerts from my tcpdump file with the following
command:
../snort -s -r file.tcpdump -c snort.conf

but since i have got thousands of tcpdump files, all the alerts were
outputed to the /sys/log/snort/alert file, and it's really hard to
recongize which alert is from which tcpdump file?! Can someone tell me if
there is any way i can be able to set a path to each output of the alerts
from every tcpdump file??

2) I have got a tcpdump file from a system that is about a year old, and
after applied the lastest rule set (downloaded from snort.org), it didn't
detect any alert from it? but my instructor said he is 100% sure there is
at least one alert from that file. I was wondering, how will i be able to
find it then???

3) After we have found the alerts, What is the command/method to fix the
bug in the tcpdump file? so, that the alerts will not appear second time
we snort it?

thank you very much!!

Jun WANG
Florida Tech