Snort mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding creating rules in Snortcenter ...

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:41:11 +0000

--On 12 February 2004 09:33 -0800 Michael Chapman <MChapman () ascentmedia com> wrote:

This is on RedHat 9.0, with Snort 2.0.6 and the usual complement of MySQL
and ACID.  The rules I am trying to create using the interface in
Snortcenter don't seem to be active or locatable, for that matter.  Bear
with my ignorance here, but I thought that these rules would normally get
put into the local.rules file

or 'Unknown Catagory' [sic].

, yet no entries appear there when I create
a rule.  I do see them in the Snortcenter interface when I look at the
rules, which leads me to believe that the rules are in the SQL database.
Is this a correct assumption?  If so, are the Snortcenter interface
and/or direct MySQL intervention the only ways to verify that a rule is
there?  Secondly, if the rule does exist, why am I not seeing hits for
it?

For example, I created a rule which just does nothing but alert on TCP
8987 (a port that only I am using for an app.)  I can clearly see other
traffic to and from the host that has that port active, but I do not see
any alerts.  I have activated the rule per the instructions on the
Snortcenter site, with green lights all around.

Sensor Config->Rules Selection, yes?

Am I being ignorant, or is there something I'm missing?  If I should just
re-RTFM, then please say so!

Do the extra rules appear in a policy preview?

Have you push'ed the policy to the sensor?

Is the policy successfully uploaded according to Snortcenter?

Is the new snort.ethx.conf file present on the sensor? Does it contain your new rules?

Have you reloaded/restarted Snort?

If you're using barnyard or mudpit, have you regenerated the .maps and classification.cfg, and restarted those?

Thanks in advance!
Michael

Best Regards,
Alex.