Snort mailing list archives

Couple of quick questions

From: Charles Lacroix <chuck () linuxquebec com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 15:44:18 -0500

Hi there i am in process of implementing snort (on redhat linux) for
monitoring some network activity, and i wanted to know something about
network interfaces.

in the init script, i see that it checks only for eth addr
---> cd /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf; ls -d eth* ...

what i want to monitor is the traffic going into other interfaces
than eth* ...

Here is where i want to be able to listen.

in my cipe vpn interfaces ( cipcb* )
in my pptp vpn interfaces ( ppp* )

and also i noticed that my adsl connection ppp0 binded on eth0
So traffic comming from internet is not trigging any alerts nor creating
$LOG/eth0 directory

so basicly the question is :
Is there was a reason for the init script to check only for eht* interfaces.

While we are at it, can it listen to bonded interfaces like
bond0 which joins a couple of interfaces together.

By the way i use snort rpm and i repackage it to my needs.

Thanks

Charles