Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort running on two interfaces

From: "AJ Butcher, Information Systems and Computing" <Alex.Butcher () bristol ac uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 09:49:59 +0000

--On 18 March 2004 11:38 -0500 Jason Humes <jhumes () acs on ca> wrote:

I'm running snort on a Knoppix based system, installed from the echelon
(capensis) IDS cd.  What is barnyard/mudpit and why would I want to run
this?

mudpit and barnyard are both shims between snort's unified (raw, binary) logfiles and MySQL. This allows snort to avoid wasting time decoding packets and handling the database interaction, which should in turn reduce the likelihood of snort dropping packets.

 Thanks

Best Regards,
Alex.