Snort mailing list archives

Snort log alert is not the same as the live alerts.

From: "vmlinuz Mandrake" <vmlinuz () hotmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 16:57:13 +0800

Dear All,

I am running Snort 2.0.0 build 72 on OpenBSD 3.3. The snort is configured to dump the alerts to a tcpdump file. During live output to console, it states that there are 34 alerts and therefore 34 packets were wrote into the file. When i replay the tcpdump file, it informed me the alerts are lesser than 34. After some test, i discovered that when i disable the stream4 and stream4_reassembly, i will get the same number of alerts .e.g. live alerts equals log alerts.

I am not sure why this happens, but would appreciate if someone could iluminate me what could be the possible cause of this.

The stream4 options set is detect_scans, disable_evasion_alerts.
stream4_reassemble is also enabled.

Regards.