Snort mailing list archives

Re: Truncated Tcp Options?

From: Rich Adamson <radamson () routers com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:56:16 -0600

Thanks Chris, that helps a bunch. Been doing professional protocol analysis
for the past twelve years or so, but this one sort of popped up without any
form of recognition in my over-55 brain. :(

Thanks for the reference. Are there any known stacks, apps, etc, that
are known to trip the alert, or does this option tend to be one of those
that might be more oriented towards FYI?

FYI.  The RFC states that stacks must deal with these gracefully
though some may not.

It was added when I rewrote the TCP option parser and added support
for just about tcp option representation condition. It's one of those
things that was an FYI and then we could see if that was a common
condition or not.  It usually just goes off on truncated frames AFAIK.