Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort-users digest, Vol 1 #4045 - 13 msgs

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:55:35 -0600

From: "Fred Portnoy" <fportnoy () mail plymouth edu>
To: "'Martin Roesch'" <roesch () sourcefire com>,
        "'Michael Miller'" <michael.miller () state co us>
Cc: <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: RE: [Snort-users] CVS FAQ? ...
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 16:15:12 -0500

My Question Too.=20

My issues were with mysql support; we had it working with 1.9.0 and I =
was
upgrading to 2.1.1; I thought I would try installing from the FreeBSD =
"port"
list this time but .... I gave up on "porting" Snort and went back to =
the
tar file and "./configure" ... I got it working (with help from our =
freebsd
guru) but was just wondering whether there's a way to build in mysql =
support
from the Snort that comes in the port list?

First, make sure you upgrade your ports collection. This can be done using
cvsup and is clearly documented in the FreeBSD Handbook[0]. Now if you
change directories into the snort port location, you can do a "make
install" to install the port. However, if you wish to include options like
MySQL support then you will have to add a make option. So for snort from
ports with MySQL you would need to do "make -DUSE_MYSQL install clean" (I
add the clean to get rid of the cruft afterwards). Using the ports is very
simple and also well documented in the handbook[1]. There may also be
other options you can use, take a look in the Makefile in the directory
and you may be able to see what they are.

[0] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html

thanks

-fp

Nigel Houghton  Research Engineer   Sourcefire Inc.
                 Vulnerability Research Team

In an emergency situation involving two or more officers of equal rank,
seniority will be granted to whichever officer can program a vcr.