Snort mailing list archives

Performance tuning for a G5 Xserve?

From: David DeCoster <decoster () engr wisc edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:23:09 -0600

Hello all,

I am currently in the process of doing performance testing of Snort 2.1.1 on
a variety of platforms, including the Apple G5 running OS X 10.3.

I know there is a bunch of tuning that can be done to improve the
performance of a snort sensor running on linux such as low-latency kernel
patches and TCP/IP stack tuning (this is how our current snort sensors are
set up).  For the last 2 years I have had good luck with this arrangement.

What I don't know is the following:  Is there any way to tweak OS X 10.3 to
improve the performance?  I have done quite a few web searches for
information of this kind and I have come up blank (with the exception of
Henwen).

Thanks,

-dave