Snort mailing list archives

Question about passwd file

From: Michael.Mulholland () dfpni gov uk
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:02:24 +0000

folks,

i'm still relatively inexperienced in this field but here goes!

I can log onto my snort box from PuTTy on port 22 with my root password but
when i try it locally i get denied

i have checked the keyboard on the box is UK using the setup command and
even added an account to the /etc/passwd file as root user but when i try
to logon as the new user i get an access denied both locally and remotely

root has rw control to the passwd file and when i vi/etc/passwd i can see
the new account is held there.

any one any ideas on how i can access the box locally or check further to
see if the keyboard or locale is the problem?

thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond
michael mulholland

Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those
of the Department of Finance & Personnel or The Office Of the First and
Deputy First Minister.  This email and any files
transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in
error please notify the sender immediately by using the reply facility in
your email software.  All emails are swept for the presence of viruses.