Snort mailing list archives

Re: failure to generate alerts from tcpdump file

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:03:38 -0500

At 03:06 AM 3/10/2004, jwang () fit edu wrote:
 am all new to snort, and just finished install and configed the
snort.conf file, also downloaded and installed the latest ruleset from
snort.org. but when i was trying to do the following command, it failed!
if i take out "-c /.../snort.conf" in command line, the system will only
give me an empty alert file?! i would like to knw if there is more i have
to config, any other command that will give me the alerts that i wanted?

[root@localhost snort]# snort -s -r attack_file_8.tcpdump -c
/etc/snort/conf/rules -c /etc/snort/conf/snort.conf
Warning: /etc/snort/conf/rules/exploit.rules(42) => Unknown keyword
'isdataat' in rule!

Sounds like you are using rules that are too new for your version of snort.

If you are using snort 2.0. use the 2.0 rule tarball, not the 2.1 rule tarball