Snort mailing list archives

RE: Adware/Malware Rules List V2

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 07:57:59 -0500

Krisa,

You don't include any details of your setup, so forgive me if I start from
the beginning:

1.  make sure your snort machine is sharing a layer 2 fabric with your
concentrator (e.g. external router, internet firewall, border gateway, etc.)
by one of these methods: sensor, mirrored port on your switch, or a hub
(yuck).

2.  make sure snort has these rules turned on in snort.conf.  E.g. if you
have these rules in local.rules, uncomment out the local.rules line.

3.  try sending out a false positive bia telnet or some such.  E.g. start an
http connection to the Flowgo homepage.  Does it give you a warning?

If none of these help, send me an email with your full situation so I can
better help you.

--Patrick Darden
--Internetworking Manager
--ARMC