Snort mailing list archives

Re: Source IP 173.80.0.0 [revisited], bug?

From: ypwhich <ypwhich () paunix org>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:11:16 +0000 (UTC)

Ed,

You're on cable, like me.  I've seen this stuff before, hell if I run
Ethereal or tcpdump I get spammed with it.

Most of the 'traffic' causing my modem light to blink are from ARP
requests from a Cisco router upstream, which is my gateway.

As for the IP, my own modem sends out IGMP requests from the address:
192.168.100.0.  If I use a browser and http://192.168.100.1 (you can surf
into your own cable modem) - it shows the address as the Ethernet IP,
unsure how that works - unless it's a local thing - the IP used by the
modem on the DOCSIS network is 10.40.X.X

Cable didn't always use to function like this, I believe the bridging they
use (your own modem forwards a lot of routing data) to be a new thing.

Anyways, looking at the Ethereal data, my best guess would be an upstream
router, from your ISP.

-yp