Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort is exiting after start

From: twig les <twigles () yahoo com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:06:53 -0800 (PST)

--- Daniel_Jagodziñski <daniel_jagodzinski () poczta onet pl>
wrote:
I am starting snort from shell script located in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d
with the starting line like that
.../snort -c /usr/local/etc/snort.conf -u snortd -g snortd -i
rl0 -D

user and group snortd exist. Snort is configured to use
PostgreSQL and the
database is present.

The scripts is executed but just a while after snort is
extiting with
information Promisc... mode disabled.

What is that I am doing wrong. Earlier I have the same
starting line placed
in /etc/rc.local but following suggestions of FreeBSD users
moved it into
script. When started from rc.local the snort was working.
I have tried however to start it from the shell with similar
results. Even
if executed as root won't start

System: FreeBSD 5.1, PostgreSQL 7.4.1, Snort 2.1.1

Jan Pips

Two things you can try.  First is starting snort with the same
line but using -T instead of -D.  That usually tells me exactly
what I'm not doing right.  Also, on FBSD I usually have a "sleep
5" at the top of my starting snort script to make sure the
database finishes starting before snort tries to start.  There
is prolly a more graceful way to do this but this works.

=====