Snort mailing list archives

Newbie question: needed PC specs and performance

From: R. Welz <linuxprodukte () gmx de>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:25:00 +0100

Hello.
Please excuse if you receive this message twice, but my first Message didn't make it even in the archive(?). Hope this one will...

Hello.
I want to set up a router, firewall and snort on a dedicated machine. In addition I want to have an OpenSSH Server running on my "Entrance to my LAN". And all that on a DSL line (low speed 700 soemthin kBit downstream, 128 kBit upstream). This is for a web server running and normal traffic. I play huge graphics games over the net and I get tons of emails.

I have a spare computer for this purpose, with a 10 MBit Ethernet Card on board and an 100 MBit Card added but I am not quite shure wheather this machine will have enough speed for my needs: Its a 8 Year old Apple Power Macintosh 7600 with 132 MHZ and 80 MByte Ram.

On the other hand there are Computer on PC base with 2 GHZ for about 500 Euros and there are Linux OSes like SuSE which can be configured graphically. Obviously my Mac won't run any X-Server since that would be veeerrrry slow, although I havn't tried. And I use Debian which has the oldest Kernel I ever seen (2.2 out of the box, 2.4.18 built myself).

BTW would the 2.4.18 Kernel be recent enough concerning security and stability?

So I am not quite shure wheather to buy a new PC in the lower price segment or to stay with my Mac. Since I am student, I would rather like to buy books instead computer hardware but on the other hand I don't want to sit on a museum with the oldest hardware one has ever seen and building, configuring and compiling Linux software takes days just to reveal that the hardware is outside "recommendations".

What do you think?

Suggestions greatly welcome,
Robert Welz