Snort mailing list archives

Re: Which Linux distro for a Win32 Snort admin?

From: "Leonard Miller" <Leonard.Miller () udlp com>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:39:17 -0600

To my knowledge, they will support that for another year before
completely
stopping support.  But then you should still be able to get any updates
from
apt-get, sourceforge or rpmfind.  Since you already have RH9, you might
as
well stick with it. We have several RH8 machines and do not plan on
moving
away from them just because RH stopped supporting.  We'll keep them
until
they die.

Leonard

Robert Reid <rreid () 1800FLOWERS com> 01/08/04 11:20AM >>>
Morning all,

I have recently been tasked with setting up a 2 sensor Snort IDS which
will
run Linux on IBM hardware. I have a lot of experience with Win32 Snort
(ACID
and Demarc) but none with Linux.

What would be the best distro to use for this project? I have redhat
9.0 on
hand but I was told its no longer supported, obviously I would like to
secure this box properly, without RedHat support is it still
possible to download patches?

Thanks for any advice given,

Robert