Snort mailing list archives

RE: SNORT and VLans

From: "Martin Jr., D. Michael" <martinm () montevallo edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:05:22 -0600

What you are describing is exactly the way we are configured.  We
monitor all traffic (internal and external) on all 80+ vlans using one
Snort box.  Luckily, our network topology has everything coming back to
one single core switch (Catalyst 4006) so we just setup monitoring of
all ports back to a single port for the Snort IDS.  The syntax of our
commands are as follows:

monitor session 1 source interface Gi1/1 - 2

monitor session 1 source interface Gi3/1 - 6

monitor session 1 source interface Gi4/1 - 6

monitor session 1 source interface Fa5/1 - 26 , Fa5/28 - 48

monitor session 1 source interface Fa6/1 - 48

monitor session 1 destination interface Fa5/27

This setup has been a godsend for us in helping to locate possible
infected machines.  One problem with our installation of Snort (as I am
afraid any IDS would have to some degree) is the "false positives" we
sometimes get.  You can automate all you want but you will always need a
human being to sort through the data.

Hope this helps,

Michael Martin

University of Montevallo