Snort mailing list archives

FLOW question

From: Steven Suppe <steve_suppe () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:02:26 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm a newbie to this list, but am presently becoming the resident "expert" at Snort here at work, and I look forward to
participating!

My current question is about the keyword flow.  I really don't understand the point - I understand that it's supposed
to relieve you from defining pack direction at the IP layer, but I'm not understanding something in practice.  For
instance, if I wanted to capture any time the word "root" was issued over a telnet connection,

Wouldn't

alert tcp $EXTERNAL any -> $TELNET_SERVER 23 (msg:"SU attempt!"; content: "root"; nocase;
flow:to_server,from_client,established;)

and the same rule WITHOUT the flow clause do the exact same thing?  Because of the    "->" operator, we can only have
our traffic going one way anyway!

I thought that because it was stateful, that once the connection was established, I could have

alert tcp $EXTERNAL any ->$TELNET_SERVER 23 (msg: "SU attempt!"; content: "root"; nocase; flow:from_server,
established;)

if I wanted to get something JUST from the server, but that doesn't seem to work!

If someone could enlighten a poor admin like me, I'd appreciate it!  I'm sure it's something small and obvious that I'm
missing.  Thanks in advance!

Steve Suppe