Snort mailing list archives

RE: [Snort-devel] SNORT has memory leak on Linux Red hat 9

From: "Kumar, Manoj" <kumarm () netscout com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:09:03 -0500

Ian,
Thanks for your reply
Yes,exactly this is what very odd is that even I kill the SNORT process,memory are not getting released. This is really
strange. But,this is what exactly happening.
I have 4 GB of physical memory. I stopped all the process and waited for 3-4 hours.It remains at 345MB. As soon as I
start the snort process,it starts climbing and other thing is that it climbes very fast. Within 2-3 hours, it eats up
95% of the memory. It goes upto 3.5 GB. When I kill it,I thought it will release the memory,but it's not.

Again,this is happening on Red hat 9 and also on application service 2.4.9 Linux.

Manoj