Snort mailing list archives

RE: Snort on Linux with no IP

From: ypwhich <ypwhich () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:40:40 +0000 (UTC)

Paul is correct.  Running FreeBSD here, my NIC is fxp0

Linux, all distros I've used follow the ethX naming convention for
*ethernet*

-ypwhich

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Schmehl, Paul L wrote:
eth1 is the name for the second network card in a BSD or
Linux machine.
Each network card is called eth for ethernet  and is number
from 0 and
up to however many network cards you have (minus 1).

This is not true.  The handle for the NIC depends upon the manufacturer
in BSD.  For example, xl0 and xl1 are two NICs on one FreeBSD box I
have.  I don't recall if RedHat always uses the eth0, eth1 convention,
but the BSDs definitely do not.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas