Snort mailing list archives

Odd alert on /bin/chmod rule

From: GJ Philput <gjphilput () yahoo com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:18:34 -0800 (PST)

Hello,
I am hoping that someone can shed some light on an
unusual capture that I got from the WEB-ATTACKS chmod
command attempt rule in Snort 2.1.  According to the
rule, this rule should only alert if it finds
/bin/chmod/ in the packet.  I have gotten several
alerts on this rule that are just SYN packets and
don't contain a payload, let alone /bin/chmod/.  Does
anyone know why this might be happening?  I have
included the rule, and the Alert below.  Sensitive
information has been changed to protect the guilty.

alert tcp $EXTERNAL_NET any -> $HTTP_SERVERS
$HTTP_PORTS (msg:"WEB-ATTACKS chmod command attempt";
flow:to_server,established;
content:"/bin/chmod";nocase; sid:1336;
classtype:web-application-attack; rev:4;)

Generated by ACID x.x.x on Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:23:13
-0500------------------------------------------------------------------------------#(4
- 19383) [2004-02-22 04:12:17] [snort/1336]
WEB-ATTACKS chmod command attemptIPv4: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
-> xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
hlen=5
TOS=0
dlen=48