Snort mailing list archives

Performance Question

From: Martin Bündgens <mb () insidetheweb de>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:49:00 +0100

Hallo,

i installed Snort 2.01 as SuSE 9 RPM. The programm itself logs all rule
faults in /var/log/snort as complete snort.log + creates for all ips an
extra folder inclusive the fault message as single file from the ip.

My first question, is this a common option that snorts creates an extra
folder for all ips ?
If not, how to deactivate it.

Second question, can these tons of folders/files (about 2000-5000) can
effect the server performance ?

I don`t think so, but one person from our data center insists on that the
"snort" logging process
is the problem for high loads in combination with logrotate.

Thanks for your time.

Regards,
Martin Bündens