Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort in VMware

From: "Stephen W. Thompson" <thompson () isc upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:46:27 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Brian McNeilly <bmcneilly () shaw ca> wrote:

Here's a summary of my setup: I am using VMware GSX Server for my Snort
box. The guest OS where Snort is installed is running RedHat9, and the
host is running Windows XP Pro.

Everything seems to work great, except I can only see packets coming to
and from my host IP address: nothing else from the network appears in the
Snort logs. The host machine is connected to a non-switching hub, and the
linux interface on the guest is set to promiscuous mode. What I want to
scan is every packet going through the hub, regardless of the source and
destination addresses.

Has anyone had issues with running Snort on a VMware guest? Is there
anything else I need to check to make sure my connection sees all the
packets from the hub?

With Linux as guest and Linux as guest on version 2.x of VMware, I
had that sort of problem.  I needed to make sure that the user VMware
was running as had rights to the network resource I was trying to
use.  In that case, there was a /dev/vmnet<wildcardhere> file that
needed to be r/w permissions for the vmware user.  Glancing through
the VMware website's knowledgebase, there are various utilities which
newer versions provide.  See, for example,

  http://www.vmware.com/support/esx2/doc/esx20admin_netwk5.html

En paz,
Steve
--
Stephen W. Thompson, UPenn, ISC Information Security, 215-898-1236
  The only safe choice: Write e-mail as if it's public.  Cuz it could be.