Snort mailing list archives

RE: [Snort-sigs] capture email

From: "Snort" <Snort () intercept net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 09:20:28 -0500

Well it depends on how much control you have on your network plus how you want to capture it. My thought is to capture
the packets/ trigger an alert when a user use the web based e-mail service and to have the e-mail server send a copy of
the e-mails being sent to the teacher to another e-mail box for analysis/research. I am kind of lost though, what are
you trying to accomplish? Are you trying to just capture e-mails, setup ids to alert you when a specified email address
is received by your server, or find out which student and from where is sending these e-mails? Most of this you really
don't need ids, just email server logging and a copy of the e-mails, then you can track back to the provider and have
them look for which ip address it came from, who it is registered to, when they registered and from where. Etc etc.

Michael