Snort mailing list archives

Re: Snort outside firewall

From: Mark.Schutzmann () Omron com
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 11:22:12 -0600

Lane,

I think that the answer would completely depend on your network's
configuration and which firewall you are looking to monitor? It's entirely
possible to have a private IP space (RFC 1918) on the Internet-facing
interface(s) of your firewall(s). Perhaps you can give further details on
what you're trying to accomplish if you need assistance.

Regards,
Mark

                      Lane LiaBraaten

                      <lliabraa () isrparc org>              To:       snort-users () lists sourceforge net

                      Sent by:                            cc:

                      snort-users-admin () lists sour        Subject:  [Snort-users] Snort outside firewall

                      ceforge.net

                      11/03/2003 05:32 AM

If I set up a snort box outside my firewall, do I give it a private or
public
ip address?  It will need to be able to send email alerts to users in the
network.

TIA,

LGL