Snort mailing list archives

session output

From: Costas Magos <kmag () lab epmhs gr>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 17:03:07 +0200

hi all,

I apologize if this has been discussed before (probably has), but I have searched in the archives with no luck. I am using snort 1.9.0 on a RH 7.3 machine and I have the rule:

log ip any any <> any any (session: printable;)

in my snort.conf, in order to catch the excanged ascii data for all sessions. The snort-output I get is directories named after IP addresses with SESSION:<hi-port>-<lo-port> files (see below an example). What it seems to be confusing for me, is whether the IP addresses used as directory names are the originators or the recipients of the sessions, i.e. did they initialize the session or just accepted it? Under what criteria does snort pick the IP address of the session? How can this IP address be interpreted?

[kmag@kmag]$ tree
|-- 143.101.50.217
|   |-- SESSION:2487-80
|   `-- SESSION:4961-80