Snort mailing list archives

SRI patent on "Hierarchical event monitoring and analysis"

From: Richard Bejtlich <richard_bejtlich () yahoo com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 19:17:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I was doing research for my book "The Tao of Network
Security Monitoring" and learned SRI
(http://www.sri.com/) was awarded a patent on 19 Nov
02 for "Hierarchical event monitoring and analysis."
It's patent 6,484,203 (http://www.uspto.gov) and says:

"A computer-automated method of hierarchical event
monitoring and analysis within an enterprise network
including deploying network monitors in the enterprise
network, detecting, by the network monitors,
suspicious network activity based on analysis of
network traffic data selected from the following
categories: {network packet data transfer commands,
network packet data transfer errors, network packet
data volume, network connection requests, network
connection denials, error codes included in a network
packet}, generating, by the monitors, reports of the
suspicious activity, and automatically receiving and
integrating the reports of suspicious activity, by one
or more hierarchical monitors."

I thought this was alarming until I started browsing
through the linked patents and found just about
everything under the sun has been patented.  How can
SRI or anyone expect a patent like this to withstand
scrutiny, since anyone can point to Marty's 1999 LISA
talk on Snort as prior art, or Todd Heberlein's 1990
paper on network security monitoring?

Thank you,

Richard
http://taosecurity.com