Snort mailing list archives

Re: Installation Problem

From: "Aryan D" <aryan_912 () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:08:15 +0530

Hi,

I using the following to configure Snort

OS :- Redhat Linux 9.0
DB :- Mysql
Snort Version :- 2.0.2

I am new to snort so i had referred to the "Enterprise Installation" Doc from www.snort.org

Please let me know how do i verify the below configuration, i dont know much about Mysql DB.
1. You configured snort to use a SQL-database?  - Used MySQL
2. You created the database and tables for snort? - Yes, referred to doc
3. You confirmed that snort logs into the database? - please let me know do i check this 4. You configured ACID to use the db? - please let me know do i check this 5. State the version of the tools used and any error message you encounter when starting snort or accessing ACID.
No error message encountered while installation, except for while installation of NetSSLearpm for Snortcenter.
Error:- Pod2man not found in the path.
But the when i checked it was their in the PATH. So while selecting Sensor i selected non-SSL.

Aryan

CC: SnortUsers <snort-users () lists sourceforge net>
Subject: Re: [Snort-users] Installation Problem
Date: 29 Oct 2003 09:49:30 +0100

Hi Aryan,

Am Mit, 2003-10-29 um 07.07 schrieb Aryan D:
> Hi ,
> Please Help.
You should provide more information.
1. You configured snort to use a SQL-database?
2. You created the database and tables for snort?
3. You confirmed that snort logs into the database?
4. You configured ACID to use the db?
5. State the version of the tools used and any error message you
encounter when starting snort or accessing ACID.

The information you gave does not provide any clues to your problem.

Cheers,

Ralf
--
Ralf Spenneberg
RHCE, RHCX

Book: Intrusion Detection für Linux Server   http://www.spenneberg.com
IPsec-Howto                                  http://www.ipsec-howto.org
Honeynet Project Mirror:                     http://honeynet.spenneberg.org

Hi ,

I have installed Snort 2.0.2, when i open the acid console i cannot see any traffic. Snortcenter show Snort is running with **** PID.

Below is the output of ps-ef |grep snort
[root@localhost /]# ps -ef |grep snort
root 13271 1 0 Oct11 ? 00:00:01 /usr/bin/perl /opt/snortagent/sensor/miniserv.pl /etc/snort/miniserv.conf root 2153 1 0 11:44 ? 00:00:00 /usr/local/bin/snort -D -i eth1 -U -o -c /etc/snort/snort.eth1.conf
root      2169 15655  0 11:44 pts/0    00:00:00 grep snort

Also the log file /var/log/snort/alert is empty
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 Oct 11 10:21 alert
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1816 Oct 11 17:20 miniserv.error
-rw-------    1 root     root        74927 Oct 12 11:49 miniserv.log
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            6 Oct 11 17:20 miniserv.pid

Please Help.

Aryan