Snort mailing list archives

Stealth sniffing and and bridging networks

From: "Watson, Ed" <EWatson () lightspan com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:58:40 -0800

Hello Everyone,
        I'd like to pose this question with accompanying details.

I have:

RH7.2 / 2.4.20-20.7smp
3 Nic's (1 built-in / 1 dual port)
Snort 2.0.2 /ACID/Mysql

The built-in nic has and internal IP.
The Dual port, neither nic has an IP (Stealth Mode) listening in promisc.

                        Built-in NIC ---- internal IP / internal switch

                        Dual Port ---- DMZ / NO-IP(Stealth/promisc)
                                    \---- Internal switch /
NO-IP(Stealth/promisc)

I'd like to manage the snort box from internal IP console but stealthfully
sniff the DMZ (Cisco 3548/ using 'port monitor') and traffic flowing in/out
of the main LAN at the firewall (Cisco 6006/using 'span' disallowing regular
traffic to that port).

I'd like to make this work without "bridging" the networks or reducing the
risk to an acceptable level? I've tested the read-only cable but read some
stories about switches having problems dealing them. Is it possible to do
this with minimal risk?

Thanks all,

Ed