Snort mailing list archives

RE: Dropping packets why?

From: "Elijah Savage" <esavage () digitalrage org>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 23:24:44 -0500

Paul,

With all do respect sir I think you need to read a bit more carefully
before jumping all over someone I never said in any of my post I had a
15 meg pipe hell I would be dreaming for something like that at home,
though I do have a oc3 and ds3 at work I said that I have a cable
connection in my original post. Please see my original post below, but
it was some other user that piped in about having a 15 meg pipe.
I do appreciate all replies.
Thank You
Original Post
I have snort setup on my openbsd firewall with 3 interfaces
2 intel interface
1 3com interface
All are pci on 100mbit switches
K62 300 128 meg of mem

I figured this machine should be strong enough to simply handle a cable
connection but I am dropping packets

Snort analyzed 19376 out of 20072 packets, dropping 696(3.468%) packets

I am running barnyard logging to a mysql database and using acid but all
that is setup on a totally different machine.

Any ideas where I can start looking to try and correct this, basically
running with the default config except for changing the home_net. I want
to see if I can figure this out then I will start tunning.