Snort mailing list archives

Re: Is this an attack in the making?

From: Matt Kettler <mkettler () evi-inc com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 13:13:30 -0500

At 07:50 PM 10/26/2003, Michael Esposito wrote:
I've picked up UDP 137 alerts from several of my internal machines attempting to connect to a machine with an external IP address of 66.223.110.226.

When I connect to the web server on that IP address, I notice three files:

Name

Last Modified

Size

Description
EyeURL.html Mon Jul 07 15:04:26 EDT 2003 1430 File
HiddenApplet.class Mon Sep 23 16:47:02 EDT 2002 2090 File
HttpMessage.class Mon Sep 23 16:47:02 EDT 2002 3842 File

1) What would be causing my machines to attempt to connect to an external udp 137 port?

137 is netbios-name.. many windows machines will attempt to connect to it as an alternative to doing a reverse DNS lookup. Since 66.223.110.226 has no reverse DNS records, you clients are probably trying netbios-name as a fall-back. It's probably hosting some advertizing images, or some other such thing, which is referred to from annother site your users are visiting.

According to whois, the IP is owned by interland.com, a web hosting company, so that IP address is probably a vhost for several websites.

2) I heard that there was a udp port 137 attack a while back. Can anyone provide me with the specifics on this attack and if a Snort signature rule exists?

I've heard of lots of vulnerabilities in the tcp based netbios ports (139, 135), but not of one in netbios-name udp services (137). Even the really old "winnuke" vulnerability was a netbios tcp port issue.

The blaster worm was exploiting tcp/139, which is what you might be thinking of.

3)  Are these files on the above-mentioned site malicious?

They don't seem to be, but I've not examined them very closely.